Nancy Bullock ’05
We are sad to announce that Mrs. Nancy Bullock passed away on June 6, 2005, the day before she was to receive the Founders Award. It was a bittersweet moment in Applewild’s history. Her daughter, Nancy “Bunny” Bullock attended the ceremony on June 7, 2005 to receive the Founders Award in her mother’s honor. Bunny gave a heartwarming tribute that spoke of her mother’s loyalty to Applewild. Bunny relayed to the audience that the morning her mother passed away she spoke of the ceremony at Applewild. Mrs. Bullock insisted that Bunny attend the ceremony in person to receive the award on her behalf. What a remarkable tribute to Mrs. Bullock’s love and concern for Applewild School.
Mrs. Bullock was the only surviving member of the Applewild School Founding Trustees. She served as a trustee for fifteen years beginning in 1956, prior to the opening of Applewild School, through 1971.
Mrs. Bullock’s History:
She grew up in Townsend and attended Townsend Public Schools. She later attended theNetherwoodSchool in New Brunswick, Canada. She continued her education at the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing in New York City, graduating in 1936.
Mrs. Bullock worked as a registered nurse in Hamilton, Bermuda. She later worked in the pediatric unit at BurbankHospital in Fitchburg.
She married Richard Bullock in 1940 at Christ Episcopal Church in Fitchburg. They lived in Fitchburg and spent summers in Princeton.
Mrs. Bullock was a founding trustee of ApplewildSchool in Fitchburg and served on its board of directors. She was the last living founder.
Mrs. Bullock was active in Christ Episcopal Church, where she was a member of the Vestry and the Altar Guild. She was also a longtime member of the Society for the Companions of the Holy Cross in Byfield.Mrs. Bullock was a volunteer with the Burbank Hospital Guild.
Mrs. Bullock was also a good neighbor and friend of Applewild. For many years she had given tours of her historic home on Prospect Street to Applewild students.