The magic at Applewild derives from a coherent, intentional plan in which our Core Values are interwoven with our Core Competencies. These strengthen and guide our developmental approach and unite us as a community of learners who are actively involved in and responsible for healthy growth. Students graduate from Applewild as accomplished young people who know how they learn. They are poised to accept the challenge of rigorous academic work and are confident that they can make a difference in the world.
- Respectful To exhibit a courteous regard for oneself, others, and property.
- Fair To demonstrate impartial and thoughtful behavior and decision-making.
- Responsible To be reliable, dependable, and accountable in word and deed.
- Compassionate To act with kindness, empathy, and sympathy.
- Cooperative To work together toward common goals.
- Honest To be truthful in words and actions.
- Civic-Minded To participate actively in promoting the well-being of the community.
The Core Values and Core Competencies we promote and the relationships we foster among all members of our diverse community prepare our students to be confident learners and engaged citizens.
Our Core Competencies
- Be Reflective To know oneself and one’s strengths; to decide how to use that knowledge effectively in a learning environment and the world.
- Think Critically To independently consider, connect, and extend knowledge and understanding; to be open-minded, flexible problem solvers able to distinguish fact from opinion and identify bias.
- Communicate To express oneself effectively in a variety of modes, listen carefully to others, and be empathetic.
- Create To cultivate the innate sense of wonder and imagination by doing: design, develop, build, produce, generate, perform.
- Persevere To continue pursuits of value even in the face of adversity, and to know when to ask for help.
- Collaborate To participate actively, to share responsibility, and to celebrate group accomplishments.